Just because the tide is out, doesn’t mean there’s less water in the ocean. ~ Seth Godin on the economy
I came across this exclusive interview with best-selling author and transcendental marketer Seth Godin. Seth is one of the speakers at this year’s Chick-fil-A Leadercast, an inspiring and educational event designed for leaders of all types. (I strongly suggest you check it out!) Anyway, in this Leadercast video Seth talks about what it takes to make it to the top. Are you a leader vs. a manager? Are you willing to “fire” your customers? In a sea of filmmakers and photographers, what sets you apart?
Some key take-aways:
- Do remarkable work that people can’t live without
- In a sea of 20,000 shoe stores, there was Zappos (be the “Zappos” in your industry)
- The new “factory” is the laptop. It no longer matters if you have the biggest building.
- Google has changed the mindset of how your customers shop. They can easily find what’s cheapest. So, there’s a race “to the bottom” to be the cheapest. You can’t win that race, nor should you want to.
- There are two ways to think of “Tribes.” Those which already exist, and those which you create.
- And this is the clincher for all you artists: “Say what you believe, and see who follows.” Don’t try to create your audience. Make the art you want to make, put it out there, and see who bites.
These take-aways are just the tip of the iceberg. Watch the video, then take 30-60 minutes to figure out how you can win the race to the top. What is setting you apart? What is making you the “Zappos” in your corner of the world?
If you can’t see this video in your RSS reader or e-mail, click here.
Brent Mann says
Thanks Ron for posting! Really helpful for a guy who is on his first year of business.