On this week’s episode of our unruly recap of HBO’s hit show, I challenged Edu about the show being about “white people’s problems”, Edu has second thoughts about the show’s “whiteness,” and Yolanda needs more from the show than all this sex and violence. Surprisingly, no Star Wars tangents this week.
For the first time ever, all four of us are in da house! (Queue JD and/or Edu for making some crack that my use of “In da house” is an outdated use of black slang. 🙂 After yet more technical difficulty (this time JD not being able to log on), we jump right into it. I question the crew for missing huge chunks of discussion from last week’s “Dissonance Theory” episode, therefore we first touch on the MIB’s storyline from episode 4. Then we transition into this week’s discussion and we cover all the main topics of the episode.
- Why is Yolanda getting disillusioned with the direction of the show?
- JD may be coming around to the Reddit fan theory that I brought up in episode 2?
- I challenge Edu’s comment about the show being about “white people’s problems” and Edu retorts.
- Edu raises the issue of the sexualization of black people on the show
- Is Westworld really more violent than The Walking Dead?
- Will Edu ever get Arnold’s name right? (Arthur?)
We discuss all this, plus much, much, more!
Leave us a voicemail below or shoot us an email to let us know what you think–firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow the show @WwWestworldPod.
Sign up to be notified of new episodes and links to cool “Westworld” resources.
- Ron Dawson (@DareDreamerFM): documentary filmmaker and host of the radio documentary podcast Radio Film School. Think of it as This American Life for filmmakers. “Ron is definitely the ‘Black Ira Glass'” ~ Edu.
- Yolanda T. Cochran (@Rat_In_A_Wheel): feature film producer, production consultant, and former EVP of Physical Production at Alcon Entertainment.
- JD Cochran (@thatJDCochran): indie filmmaker, former actor, and hip-deep in finishing his and Yolanda’s first feature-length sci-fi thriller about…well, that’s a secret.
- Edu Black (@SceneNoirBlack): production coordinator on The Simpsons, professional wise-cracker.
Music for the show is “Black Lung” by Broke for Free. (CC BY-SA).
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- A.V. Club Article “Is Westworld Lost in it’s Own Maze?“
- Collider.com article re: the MIB Theory
- The PBS documentary about “Hamilton” I mention at the end of the episode.
About the Show
This is the unofficial, unruly and often uproariously funny podcast about the HBO hit series Westworld. In our discussion of Westworld, we can’t promise we’ll always “stay on target” (Star Wars tangents will be a-plenty). But we can promise you’ll always have a great time as four filmmaking friends–Ron, JD, Yolanda, and Edu–get deep, argue loud, throw shade on fan theories (and each other), and try to get to the bottom of who the hell this Man in Black is, what is Bernard up to, why Ford likes to hang out with creepy old dudes, and will Dolores ever gain her FREEEEEEDOM!