I’ve had the pleasuring of knowing Brett and calling him a friend for over a decade. In my early days as a professional videographer I primarily shot weddings, and at the time, the leading convention and expo for wedding videographers was WEVA. Brett and his team were like the U2 of the wedding video business. They always had standing room only crowds whenever they gave a talk and Brett would be encircled by bright-eyed and aspiring filmmakers 4-5 people deep for up to an hour after his talks. His studio was one of the most award-winning in the business and they charged premium rates.
Brett has now taken the feature documentary industry by storm with his first feature length doc, “Legends of the Knight.” It’s a endearing and emotional look at how the Batman mythos inspires people all over the country, particularly those dealing with life threatening illnesses. So moving was this film, that filmmaker and uber-podcaster Kevin Smith himself invited Brett and his wife onto his “Fatman on Batman” podcast (see below for the embedded episode). And as of the posting of this episode, the trailer for his new film “Superman Is Real” hit the web (trailer below).
- The #1 mistake he vowed he wouldn’t make.
- How you make money from what you’re passionate about.
- The #1 mistake he sees solo creatives making as it relates to marketing. The importance of staying passionate for business.
- The importance of managing cash flow and the status of all your projects.
- Working with your spouse in your business to keep both parties sane (and the marriage as peaceful as possible).