Every artist deals with it in their career—the difference between what they envision, and what they actually create. How to deal?
There’s a well-known video of “This American Life” host Ira Glass sharing his thoughts about what he calls “The Gap.” It’s the difference between your taste (what you know to be good work) and your talent (what it is you’re actually able to create, which is often not as good as you’d like it to be). This week, on the first main “Radio Film School” episode of 2016, we dive into this issue. You’ll hear from Sam Mestman, CEO of We Make Movies; Ryan Booth, filmmaker, DP and creator of the music performance web series “Serial Box Presents“; and Patrick Moreau, co-founder of Stillmotion and LearnStory.org. If you’ve ever faced “the Gap,” this is the episode for you.
“Shooting Sunshine” Returns
We also have the next installment of my “Shooting Sunshine” segment. The behind the scenes look at the making of “Little Mixed Sunshine“, the first episode in my short film documentary series about bi-racial people. In it, I answer the question: “Why is this film STILL NOT DONE?!”
Support Our Sponsor and You Support the Show
A huge way you can support the show is by checking out our sponsors. We’re supported in part by Song Freedom. Click here and use offer code radio for a one-time Standard Gold Level license worth $30.
We’re also supported by YOU, the listeners. Become a Dare Dreamer FM Premium member and gain access to bonus episodes, ebooks, templates, and other resources to help you grow in your craft and career.
Music in this Episode
Music in this episode was curated from Free Music Archive, Incompetech and Song Freedom.
- “Hola Hola Bossa Nova” by Juanitos. CC BY.
- “Machinations” & “Plans in Motion” by Kevin Macleod of Incompetech.com. CC BY.
- “There are Many Different kinds of Love” by Chris Zabriskie. CC BY.
- “Fire Ahead” by Jahzzar. CC BY-SA.
- “dream gate” by Fog Lake. CC BY.
- “The Theatrical Trailer for Poltergeist III” by Chris Zabriskie. CC BY.
- “Snowmen” by Kai Engel. CC BY.
- “Cherubs” (No vocals) by Josh Woodward. CC BY.
- Counting Stars by One Republic. All rights reserved.
- Ain’t too Proud by the Temptations
- Inspirational Ambient Build by Banvard
Videos Featured in Today’s Show
- The video created by Current.tv that started it all. “Storytelling” by Ira Glass (part 3 of 4).
Two other interpretations of “The Gap” on video:
- This Vimeo Staff Pick incarnation by Daniel Sax is quite impressive. (Over 1.3 million views as of this writing.)
- This title motion graphic by David Shiyang Liu inspired Daniel’s video.