Today we start a new series looking at filmmakers (past and present) that have distinctive styles. First up at bat…the Coen Brothers.
Today we begin a series looking at filmmakers whose work is so distinctive, you know the filmmaker within moments of watching one of their films; and the Coen Brothers have one of the most signature styles in contemporary filmmaking. Love ’em or hate ’em, when you come out of a Coen Brothers film, you will be talking about it. In this episode we hear from music video directors Nathan Corona and Isaac Deitz; show regular Brandon McCormick of Whitestone Motion Pictures; and movie and entertainment journalists David Griffin and Clarke Wolfe. This discussion is a fascinating one; one that will give insight into what makes their work unique, and what we as filmmakers and artists can learn from them in the development of our own craft.
Legally License Music for Your Production
If you need to legally license music for your productions, from every genre, look no further than Song Freedom. Click here and use offer code radio for a one-time Standard Gold Level license worth $30.
Learn How Stillmotion Tells Emmy Award-winning Stories
Stillmotion’s Muse Storytelling is the process they use to tell the kind of stories that has helped them garner five Emmys, and go from shooting weddings to shooting the Super Bowl. They’ve generously offered our listeners a special offer. Details are in the episode.
Grow in Your Craft and Career
We’re also supported by YOU, the listeners. Become a Dare Dreamer FM Premium member and gain access to bonus episodes, ebooks, templates, and other resources to help you grow in your craft and career.
Music in this Episode
Except where noted, music in this episode was curated from FreeMusicArchive.org. In order of appearance:
- Please Listen Carefully by Jahzzar. CC BY-SA.
- No Home by Cullah. CC BY-SA.
- Please Bring Me Shelter by Cullah. CC BY-SA.
- Middle by MADS. CC BY.
- Roads that Burned Our Boots by Jahzzar. CC BY-SA.
- We Used to Paint Stars in the Sky by Scott Holmes. CC BY.
- Everybody’s Got Problems that Aren’t Mine by Chris Zabriskie. CC BY.
- The Departure by nisei23. CC BY.
- Baby, Please Don’t Go by Big Bill Broonzy. CC BY.
Here are some selected videos by or starring this week’s guests:
- Nathan Corona’s Reel
- Lecrae’s “Welcome to America” Music Video (my favorite video from Isaac Deitz). Click here to learn about Isaac’s “Thunderdome”.
- Whitestone Motion Pictures Reel
- Clarke Wolfe on Collider Movie Talk
- David Griffin on ThinkHero
Listen to the Full, Uncut Interview Discussions About the Coens
If you’re a Dare Dreamer FM Premium Member, you can get permanent access to listen to or download the uncut interviews about the Coens. Once you’re logged in, you’ll be able to see the player and download link below.