Today on our biweekly miniseries addressing gender inequality in the business, we discuss perhaps the most pervasive and insidious issue holding women back.
Earlier in season 1 of the podcast, during our first “Women in Film” series, we had an episode that set the show on a path to have what would become Breaking the Glass. In that episode, there was one particular topic discussed that affects women from as high up as the ivory towers of studio executive offices, to the trenches of post production houses: self-confidence and the “imposter syndrome.” In this episode we’ll hear from:
- Elaine McMillion Sheldon, director of Hollow and co-host of the She Does Podcast.
- Julie Harris Walker, host and producer of the podcast “The Other Fifty Percent: A Herstory of Hollywood“
- Breaking the Glass panel participant Nichelle Protho, VP of Sander-Moses and COO of Slam Digital
- Show regular Yolanda Cochran (Producer) and Christina Kremer (post-production supervisor)
- Amina Moreau, executive creative director of Stillmotion
- Kathleen Shannon, owner of Braid Creative and co-host of the Being Boss podcast
About the Mini-series
Breaking the Glass is a Radio Film School podcast mini-series and short film docu-series addressing the issues of gender inequality in film and television. Learn more and see the trailer at daredreamer.fm/breaking-the-glass.
Podcasts & Videos Mentioned
- Sheryl Sandberg on the TED Radio Hour
- THR Roundtable with Studio Executives
- The Frame Interview with Natalie Portman
Deadline Extended for Female Filmmaker Video Vignette Challenge
We want to include your talent in the short film docu-series. Each winning entries will get almost $1,000 in prizes from LensProToGo, Song Freedom, Muse Storytelling, and Shane’s Inner Circle. Click here to learn more.
When you visit or support our sponsors you support the show.
Song Freedom: when you need high-quality music for your productions, including mainstream music as well as “oldies but goodies”. Sign up for a new account at songfreedom.com/radio and get a free standard gold level license worth $30.
VideoBlocks: a subscription-based stock media company that gives you unlimited access to premium stock footage everyone can afford. Unlimited daily downloads from a library of 115,000+ HD video clips, After Effects templates, motion backgrounds, and cinemagraphs. Click here for a 7-day free trial allowing you to download up to 140 pieces of content. You can also sign up for their annual plan which is $99 for unlimited access to their library.
We also want to give special thanks to these companies who are helping to spread the word to achieve gender equality in the biz:
Music in this episode was curated from FreeMusicArchive.org. Songs in order of appearance were:
- There’s a Special Place for Some People by Chris Zabriskie (CC BY)
- It’s Always Too Late to Start Over by Chris Zabriskie (CC BY)
- Divider by Chris Zabriskie (CC BY)
- Please Listen Carefully by Jahzzar (CC BY-SA)
- Phase IV by lo-fi is sci-fi (CC BY)
- They’re Coming by Elysian Bailey (CC BY)
- Casa Bossa Nova by Kevin Macleod at Incompetech.com (CC BY)
Click here to learn about Creative Commons licenses and meanings.