Do up and coming filmmakers of today really need to study the masters of yesterday? Also, we begin our “Women in Film” series.
About five years ago I wrote a blog post posing the question, “Should young filmmakers of today study the masters?” It generated a lot of great debate and conversation. That question has always sat with me, particularly now in an age where YouTube celebrities gain millions of views with little to no formal filmmaking education (let alone film history). So, what value, if any, is there to know the work of master filmmakers like Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Ford, Ophuls or Chaplain? This week we hear from six filmmakers and one master photographer on the topic.
Women in Film
Today we also formally begin our “Women in Film” series as we hear an excerpt from a 4-person panel I conducted on the topic. Is that fact that I even have to make a special “series” a problem in itself? (Segment starts at about the 14:50 mark).
Support our Sponsor
We have some more great use of Song Freedom songs. Click here and use offer code radio for a one-time Standard Gold Level license valued at $30.
Subscribe or download the show from your favorite platform:
Who You Heard
Featured in today’s episode:
- David Shulman, Executive Director of the Seattle Film Institute
- Kevin Shahinian of Pacific Pictures
- Stefanie Malone, Executive Director of NFFTY
- Nancy Chang, Executive Directory of Reel Grrrls
- Ryan Davis, co-founder of Smarthouse Creative
- Scilla Andreen, CEO of IndieFlix
- Joe Buissink, celebrity photographer
- Nathan Corona of Dustbrand Films
- Adam Forgione, Pennylane Productions
- Zach Lipovsky, ShotLister
- Sam Mestman, CEO of http://wemakemovies.orgWe Make Movies
Music in this Episode
Music from today’s episode was curated from the Free Music Archive and Song Freedom. Click here to see the Song Freedom mixtape for this episode (All rights reserved). In order of appearance:
- Brandenburg Concerto by Johann S. Bach
- “Ho Hey” and “Stubborn Love” by the Lumineers
Free Music Archive Songs used:
- “Please Listen Carefully” by Jahzzar. CC-BY-SA.
- “CGI Snake“, “The Life and Death of a Certain K Zabriskie Patriarch“, and “Oxygen Garden,” by Chris Zabriskie. CC-BY.
- “Man with a Golden Soul” by Cullah. CC-BY-SA.
- “Out of the Skies, Under the Earth” and “Wonder Cycle” by Chris Zabriskie. CC-BY.