We conclude our look at rebel filmmaker Quentin Tarantino with a discussion of the provocative nature of Tarantino’s work.
There’s probably no filmmaker alive today who elicits the kind of visceral emotion and discussion as Quentin Tarantino. Every one of the eight feature films he’s directed (and even the ones where he’s just the credited writer) have some dialog and/or visuals that will either offend you and/or make you squirm in discomfort. From the excessive, almost cartoonish violence, to his treatment of women to his infamous use of the N-word. Tarantino knows how to push buttons. But does his button-pushing truly serve the story, or is it just a device to provoke you? That’s what this week’s guests discuss with me. Two weeks ago we looked at Tarantino the AUTEUR. Today we look at Tarantino, the PROVOCATEUR.
In this episode we hear from:
- Show regulars JD and Yolanda Cochran (indie filmmaker and production executive, respectively)
- Hurlbut Visuals CEO Lydia Hurlbut
- Music video director Isaac Deitz
- Movie and entertainment journalists Clarke Wolfe (frequent Collider Movie Talk co-host) and David Griffin (of Collider TV Talk)
- Founder and CEO of Stage 32, Richard “RB” Botto
- Alex Ferrari, filmmaker and host of the Indie Film Hustle Podcast
Muse Storytelling has a New Class – “Conducting Remarkable Interviews”
Stillmotion’s Muse Storytelling is the process they use to tell the kind of stories that has helped them garner five Emmys, and go from shooting weddings to shooting the Super Bowl. They also have a brand new course on their site called “Conducting Remarkable Interviews” and it’s based on years of experience in the field and research of psychology, sociology, and neurology. Go to learnstory.org to learn more.
Grow in Your Craft and Career
We’re also supported by YOU, the listeners. Become a Dare Dreamer FM Premium member and gain access to bonus episodes, ebooks, templates, and other resources to help you grow in your craft and career.
Music in this Episode
In order of appearance (excluding music heard in the movie clips used), the music in this episode:
- Something (Bonus Track) by Kai Engel. CC BY
- Out of Light by Portrayal. CC BY
- My Dignity by Cullah. CC BY-SA
- Beyond Something Beautiful by Scott Holmes. CC BY
- Still…Living..Alive by PC III. CY BY
- The Rising Sun by Cullah. CC By-SA
- Brooks by Kai Engel. CC BY